22 April 2015

Wednesday Morning

Training Priorities

My personal chess training has suffered the past couple of weeks. Although I continue to go through my Game of the Week from the selection in GM-RAM: Essential Grandmaster Knowledge, my understanding of the past few games has been superficial. Other priorities have both limited my time and disrupted my focus.

Welcoming Distractions

Our Shirt Design
I am the tournament director for the Washington State Elementary Chess Championship, and the head director for an event that includes the state middle school championship, and two side events: I Love Chess Too, an event open to all, and the Friday Bughouse tournament that takes place the night before the championship. The Washington State Elementary Chess Championship is a one day tournament that has run annually since 1990. As far as I know, in terms of number of participants it is the largest state tournament in the United States. The event kicks off tomorrow evening with a lecture by GM Irina Krush at the Spokane Chess Club. The main event is Saturday. One of the middle school sections plays Saturday and Sunday. I'll sleep Sunday night.

This year is my second time running the event. I wrote about the first in "Advice for Organizers" (April 2009).


The Training

My Game of the week over the past seven days has been Steinitz -- Mongredien, London 1862. This morning, I have scheduled myself to move on to Rosanes -- Anderssen, Breslau 1862. A couple of months ago, I went through the Anderssen game with three of my students individually. All three are playing this weekend. One is in the top ten in fifth grade, another is playing in sixth grade, and one is playing in the two-day middle school championship.

The key notable feature of Steinitz -- Mongredien is a successful attack on Black's king initiated by a rook sacrifice.

White to move

Steinitz played 16.Rxh7!

I have played through the game a dozen times this past week, have conducted some of my own analysis, and checked some of that analysis on the computer. I have not memorized the game. I have not met the training standard with this game. My head has been in chess organizer mode far more than chess player mode.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to keep a constant program going on strong. my own efforts fluctuate. I think this is a natural part of being an amateur.

    I think that Your long record in studying the game (and blogging); though, is part of why you are so strong. too many people quit when there efforts don't measure up to expectations.

    what could they have achieved if they would have tempered their expectations and continued to seek improvement (however gradual)? no one will ever know.

    ReplyDelete